Sunday 28 July 2013

July Beauty Favourites


It's the end of July and time for monthly favourites! I've been really looking forward to this post since I've had the opportunity to try so many products since arriving in the UK. I've found many new loves but I've restrained myself and managed to narrow it my list down to the products I've had the full four weeks to test (as in wear almost every day) and confirm that yes - they are amazing. Their amazingness (not a word I know) must be shared. Excuse the poor lighting, it's a wee cloudy today and I'm still working out the best places for photos. Hope you enjoy!


Estee Lauder Pure Colur Blush in Witty Peach - This satin finish blush was my first ever high end purchase, and I'm sure you can see why. While it isn't the most pigmented blush I've tried, its stunningly beautiful both in and out of the pan. A light dusting on the cheeks gives an incredibly natural flushed glow (it has nearly invisible microglitter, as in, I had to look REALLY hard) that stays on all day. And look at that packaging...just look at it!

Rimmel 60 Second Nail Polish in Rose Libertine - While I had a fair few nail polishes in Canada, given that heavy glass bottles don't travel well, I only brought a few of my favourites over with me. I picked this one up from Boots and I LOVE IT. I've reapplied it (consecutively!) through the month. I think it's the perfect colour - neutral and colourful, fun yet classy - and the lasting power is great, not to mention, it surface dries at super speed!

Soap and Glory Flake Away - I've been dying to try Soap and Glory products for ages. Boots had Soap and Glory on 2 for 3 this month so I caved and picked this up along with a few other things I'm holding off (but dying) on trying. This scrub is AMAZING. I have to say I'm not generally a bath products person. I could never really get into them and didn't understood the fascination. Not anymore! I'm obsessed. I love the feminine soapy smell of this. It leaves a faint perfume on my skin and clothes that is so soothing. This also leaves my skin feeling unbelievably soft and moisturized (Oh my gosh I sound like a soap commercial :S). I skipped it for a few days and couldn't believe how dry my skin felt without out. I'm a total convert and on a massive bath products kick now. Soap and Glory - I blame you!

NYC Bronzer in Sunny - I've had this popular bronzer for ages, and while I occasionally stray to some of my others, I always come back to this one. Sunny is a great all purpose bronzer. Very pigmented, not too orange, not too muddy, and completely matte. Since I became pale to the point of translucent and started using gradual tanner, I started using this again as an all over bronzer and contour shade to help match up my face to my body. The best bit - I got it for $3 in Canada...yup.

Sleek iDivine Palette in Storm - While Sleek is easy to find on the high street over here, I'd actually heard so much about the Sleek iDivine palettes that I ordered this one online from the Sleek website and had it shipped to Canada earlier this year (shipping was only a few dollars). This is probably cheating, but this is on its way to being my yearly favourite and most used eye palette...ever. It has the perfect collection of matte and shimmer shades to create a neutral eye and take you from day to night. And every shade is SO creamy and pigmented, you wouldn't believe it's only £8-£9.

Dove Summer Glow Nourishing Lotion in Fair to Medium - Upon arriving in the UK it rained for about a week straight. At first I had resolved to embracing being pale until the sun came out...and then it came out again...and then again. We had a terrible heatwave that got to the point that I was going to have to show some leg and I realized I needed a gradual tanner. I picked this one up at Boots and I absolutely love it. It's very moisturizing and adds a hint of colour to my skin without turning me orange (that includes dry spots!). I've already used a bottle (it lasted about 3 weeks with near daily application) and repurchased another.

Boots Tea Tree and Witch Hazel - The whole line. Not one product - the whole damn line (they were 3 for 2 don't judge me). Okay, maybe not the whole line, I think I have a few products left to try, but I've gone a little tea tree and witch hazel crazy. I absolutely hated the first cleanser I bought in England (note to self: 'brightening' products = oil slick). I was in the middle of a two month long breakout when I found these. I could immediately tell the products were perfect for my oily skin. My complexion cleared within three days of using the line's foaming cleanser, exfoliator, face wipes, toner, day moisturizer and night treatment gel. That might sound extreme...(it sounds extreme haha) but remember I came here with no products! Right now, I'm enjoying clear skin and can't possibly imagine myself using any other face products (other than my holy grail St. Ives exfoliator, but that's another post).


Next Rose Gold Watch - I'd been wanting a rose gold watch for ages. Actually, I'd been wanting a $225 rose gold watch for ages but I'm not at a place where I can justify that (though I was tempted in duty free). I picked this one up on my first trip to the shops for, I believe, £20 at Next. I've worn it every day since and absolutely love it. I've received so many compliments on it and it's definitely satisfied my hunger for one that would have done a lot more damage to my bank account (at least for a little while).

Real Techniques Blush Brush - I love the Real Techniques brushes (I haven't heard of anyone who doesn't) and had picked up two of the kits from Walmart as soon as they were released in Canada. However, single brushes aren't sold in Canada so when I landed here and saw the blush brush at Boots for £10, I picked it up immediately. At first I wasn't entirely sure of it but after working with it for a few days I couldn't go back to my other brushes! This brush gives such a light, natural application to the cheek, I don't have to spend loads of time blending and buffing out my blush with other brushes. I highly recommend heading over to the Real Techniques website for a look at their brushes and tutorial videos on how to use them.

Have you tried any new products recently? What products did you love in July?

Safe travels.
-K.

1 comment:

  1. Great favorites! I have been obsessed with the NYC Sunny Bronzer all summer! I usually use NARS Laguna but this one has taken over and I love it!!!!

    Kendra

    www.beautybykendrac.com

    ReplyDelete